Choose your session:
From Fossil Resources to Biomass: A Business and Economics Perspective
About this courseSkip About this course
Explore how to create a sustainable future by moving away from dependence on fossil to biomass resources for the production of food, chemicals, and energy-carriers. The key is using microorganisms and catalysts to create biobased products. In this course, you will focus on the end of the supply chain - - how to market and sell those products within a profitable business model.
Join the MOOC From Fossil Resources to Biomass: A Business and Economics Perspective if you want to advance your career and get the latest academic knowledge on creating a more sustainable biobased future.
After this course, you will have an improved understanding of other relevant disciplines, and be able to better communicate outside of your own field of expertise in chemistry or technology. You will get a solid foundation of relevant concepts in the biobased economy and biobased products such as:
- An introduction to biobased sciences
- Achieving sustainability
- Consumer behaviour
- Logistics and supply chains
- Economics and regulations
This course is part of the MicroMasters Program Chemistry and Technology for Sustainability: a series of 3 courses and a final capstone project designed to help you join opportunities and embrace the transition from a fossil-based economy to a biobased economy. It's especially valuable to have (or ambition to have) a career in industries such as: (bio)chemical industry, agrifood water companies, energy producers, logistics, and related (non-)governmental organizations.
Explore the other courses in the MicroMasters Program:
- Biorefinery: From Biomass to Building Blocks of Biobased Products; Design new (bio)catalytic conversion routes to use biobased feedstocks to their highest potential
- Catalytic Conversions for Biobased Chemicals and Products; Design new (bio)catalytic conversion routes to use biobased feedstocks to their highest potential
- Capstone Chemistry and Technology - Final project and exam (only available to learners who have obtained a verified certificate in all other courses of the MicroMasters Program).
At a glance
- Institution: WageningenX
- Subject: Energy & Earth Sciences
- Level: Advanced
BSc in technology, engineering (and applied) sciences. You should have at least BSc level knowledge on courses and topics such as chemistry, mathematics and process engineering.
- Language: English
- Video Transcript: English
- Associated programs:
- MicroMasters® Program in Chemistry and Technology for Sustainability
What you'll learnSkip What you'll learn
- Understand the concept and importance of the biobased economy and the value of biobased products;
- Assess sustainability issues for a given biobased case;
- Decide how to implement a consumer point of view during the development of a biobased product;
- Understand commercial, financial and organizational aspects of running a biobased business;
- Understand the complexity of logistics of biobased value chains;
- Identify and qualitatively assess the major economic implications of different kind of regulations for the future of the biobased economy.
1: Achieving Sustainability
Delve into the true meaning of sustainability and how sustainability issues are linked to human activities. Biobased products are not always as sustainable as it seems on first glance. You’ll learn that an understanding of the degree of sustainability requires a thorough analysis of a variety of factors and constituents.
2: Consumer Behaviour
Understand the challenges of moving towards a biobased economy and gaining consumer acceptance. How do consumers evaluate products? And how is their perception influenced by communication strategies? Understanding the basics of consumer science will help you to implement the consumers’ view when developing a product.
Learn the steps to transform a biobased product to a winning business case. We’ll discuss commercial, financial and organizational aspects and stakeholder management to realize biobased ambitions. You’ll also learn about the required dynamics in and timing of (innovation) activities for a sector transformation to a biobased economy.
Understand the biobased supply chain including network design and geographical allocation of processing steps answering the key questions where to produce, how to transport and where to process biobased products.
5: Macro-economics and Regulation
Learn the economic basis for government regulations and implications for the biobased economy and in particular the responses by the private sector. This includes the economic foundations for government regulations from different perspectives and the implications for an economic assessment of regulatory policies.
Learner testimonialsSkip Learner testimonials
"Courses about the biobased economy and biorefinery at Wageningen University triggered me to specialise in this field, where I now also work. Truly a life-changing experience!"
''Very well designed course; worthy experts' guidance; being mindful of the importance of practical aspect of learning, the course should be very helpful for utilizing the knowledge gained in real life.''
''Overall I really have the feeling I learned a lot and the total fourse has given me more insight into the evolving biobased economy''
About the instructors
Frequently Asked QuestionsSkip Frequently Asked Questions
Do you have questions about the MOOCs (Massive Open Online Courses) and/or related online programmes of Wageningen University & Research? To help you find answers to your questions, we created a list with frequently asked questions about enrolling, participating in- and finishing a MOOC.
Is this the same course as 'Biobased Principles and Opportunities'?
No, but it does contain materials from that course, especially modules 3 and 5. The course 'Biobased Principles and Opportunities will not be available in the future anymore.
Is this the same course as 'Biobased Processes and Implementation'?
No, but it does contain materials from that course, espcially modules 3, 4 and 5. The course 'Biobased Processes & Implementation will not be available in the future anymore.